Monday, January 19, 2015

L'eroica planning is underway and I did some scouting of the potential route this weekend. One of the comments that struck me reading over the survey results from past riders is the dislike of the I-70 portion of the race. So I have been pouring over maps and driving back roads looking for alternative routes. I am excited by what I found and it will allow us to have another rest stop before Glenwood.

The stretch of highway from Palisade exit 44 to Mesa exit 49 seems unavoidable without a killer climb up the side of the Grand Mesa on gated dirt roads. I will look more into this for future races but it won't help us now.


It is the same on the Glenwood stretch, the oly way around I-70 is a huge loop into Carbondale over McClure pass or some dirt road scouting that will have to wait till summer.

But I was able to at least shorten the stretch into Glenwood. So as we come down into Silt, we will cross the highway and there will be a rest stop at the Historical Park in Silt then we will mosey down highway 6 through New Castle and on to Exit 109 where we have to get on I-70 for 5 miles to Exit 114, West Glenwood. Then we will travel along Devereux Rd to the Two Rivers Park where the finish will hopefully be.

Here is the Silt Park
 
 And Two Rivers Park in Glenwood.
This spot is really beautiful along the river but it only has a small shelter. If the weather is good it may just be enough for a little cook out and gathering. But more on that later...

No comments:

Post a Comment